Thursday 26 September 2013

Venus enters semi-final

The 33-year-old American, who won the last of her seven grand slam singles titles in 2008, recovered from a poor second set tiebreak with a series of electrifying shots and acrobatic volleys in the decider, completing victory with another ferocious forehand cross-court after a shade over three hours.

“It’s hard to believe it’s my first semi-final in Tokyo after all these years,” said Williams, currently languishing at 63rd in the world after being diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder in 2011.

“I’ve played against so many great players over a couple of generations, it seems,” added Williams, who giggled when reminded Thursday was sister Serena’s 32nd birthday.

“I’ve put a lot into the game and I’m not going to give it up easily. As a professional athlete you have a window. My window’s still open and I’m going to take advantage of it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment